Free Text Questions
Free Text questions are similar to Essay questions, in the sense they require a great deal more thought and users need to enter their own answers. With Free Text questions however, answers are generally kept to a one or two word maximum.
Also known as: Short Answer questions, Fill in the Blank, objective
Use Free Text Questions to Assess:
- Basic understanding of a subject
- Knowledge Recall
Question Usage Ideas:
- Knowledge of definitions
- Direct questions
- Foreign language Tests
- Math Tests
Advantages of Free Text Questions:
- Questions are easy to create
- Automatically graded
- Easy to grade on paper
- Test takers cannot easily guess answers
- Versatile - works great for different types of classes
Disadvantages of Free Text Questions:
- Can easily be marked wrong, due to spelling mistakes
- Answer given is limited to only a couple of words
- Questions need to be specific and clearly written.
- Can be confusing if correct answer consists of too many words.
Tips for creating Free Text Questions
- Keep answers to one or two words maximum
- Use underscores to create 'fill in the blank' questions
- Use optional correct answer options with different spellings of the answer
- Write questions in your own words
- Do not make the 'fill in the blank' line the length of the words, to show it's a shorter or longer word.